Promotion of CSR
The Yokowo Group recognizes that conducting business activities in harmony with the global environment is an essential responsibility for a corporation. The Yokowo Group continues to implement a range of Group-wide environmental preservation activities based upon defined environmental policies in order that we can pass on our irreplaceable global environment to future generations.
Today, when Japan and the rest of the world are starting to make a serious effort to realize carbon neutrality by 2050, Yokowo is living up to the needs that our stakeholders and society as a whole have in us by formulating more concrete measures in response to climate change,and working actively to implement them. From this point of view, we support the recommendations of Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TCFD), and we implement specific initiatives to achieve the target of reducing greenhouse gas emissions from our plants (Scope 1 & 2) by 35% by FY2030, compared to FY2014 and promote specific climate-related information disclosure.
Yokowo is also committed to helping to create a rich natural environment. We seek to do this through our environmental management system and through activities designed to achieve continuous improvements in environmental performance. As part of our commitment, we take into consideration the environmental impact of our business activities and comply with all relevant environmental laws, regulations, and guidelines, as well as with each customer's specific guidelines.
- 1.Yokowo supports the TCFD recommendations, and besides formulating and implementing concrete measures to achieve the target of reducing greenhouse gas emissions from our plants (Scope 1 & 2) by 35% by FY2030, compared to FY2014, we will also be disclosing details of the measures taken, through the Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP) framework.
- 2.Yokowo will continuously and actively promote energy saving, resource conservation, and recycling to contribute to the protection of the global environment.
- 3.In respect of chemical substances which are harmful to both the environment and human body, Yokowo will prevent environmental pollution by implementing preventive measures and action plan, which include those for the case of abnormal and emergency operation, and will minimize the use of hazardous chemical substances.
- 4.Yokowo will comply with all relevant environmental laws, regulations, and each customer's specific requirements, and intend to enhance our environmental management by our original internal standards.
- 5.Yokowo will set objectives and goals for our environmental activities and improve our environmental management system continuously by periodically reviewing the objectives and goals.
- 6.Through in-house education and publicity, Yokowo will promote all the employees' recognition of involvement in environmental preservation and will make these activities take root as daily duties.
- 7.Yokowo ensures that all the employees including those of affiliated companies are fully aware of the environmental policies, and will disclose them to the public on request.
- 8.Yokowo will contribute to the development of a sustainable society by considering the impact on biodiversity in all its business activities.
Enacted: June 1, 2005
Revised: October 15, 2021
Environmental Management System
The Yokowo Group is promoting environmental management in collaboration with its group companies, and has established the following framework. The Sustainability Committee clarifies Yokowo Group's basic stance on issues such as climate change and human rights protection, and takes a leading role in promoting company-wide sustainability activities. On the other hand, the Environmental Committee is promoting qualitative improvement of the group's environmental measures through the PDCA cycle of the environmental management system.
Status of Environmental Management System Certification
The Yokowo Group has constructed an Environmental Management System in a bid to preserve the environment and to prevent pollution. Its individual production bases have been certified with ISO 14001. The environmental management committees at individual plants take the initiative in ISO-compliant environmental activities. They define the purposes and set the goals so that Yokowo personnel will strive to fulfill them in their respective workplaces.
|ISO 14001 acquisition||Unit||FY 2018||FY 2019||FY 2020||FY 2021||FY 2022||Included range|
(Targets are production bases)
The Yokowo Group has set targets for the following items and is working towards achieving them.
- Climate Change Response
- The Yokowo Group has set itself a target of reducing greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions (Scope 1 & 2) by 35% by FY2030, compared to FY2014, in pursuit of the achievement of carbon neutrality by 2050. Going forward, the Yokowo Group will continue to accelerate initiatives for achievement of the target, focusing on areas such as expansion in the share of electricity generated from renewable energy, reduction of energy intensity, introduction of renewable energy self-consumption systems, and green energy procurement, and the Group will also put more effort into reducing Scope 3 greenhouse gas emissions.
- Management of Water Resources
- Of the water used within the Yokowo Group, the majority is for domestic-type uses. We are working to achieve our goal of a year-on-year 1% reduction in water consumption, measured by per unit of sales.
- Waste Reduction / Resource Recycling
- As well as promoting a reduction in the quantities of waste generated by our business activities, the Yokowo Group has also set a recycling rate of at least 80% as a target.
- Hazardous Chemical Substance Management
- At the Yokowo Group, we have identified substances to manage ourselves based on the environmental regulations of Europe. We have clarified our targets of discontinuing or reducing use of hazardous chemical substances.
- GHG Emissions and Emission Factor
(Unit : t-CO2)
|FY2014 (Results)||FY2022 (Results)||FY2030 (Target)|
|Scope1||402||578||35% reduction from FY 2014
- Water Usage and Usage Rates
|Unit||FY 2018||FY 2019||FY 2020||FY 2021||FY 2022||Included range|
|Water intake volume||m3||335,868||344,632||283,178||260,179||273,845||Consolidated|
|Municipal water supply
(or from other water supply facilities)
|Fresh water and surface water
(lakes, rivers, etc.)
|Freshwater and groundwater||m3||-||-||-||-||-||Consolidated|
|Comparative water resource intensity
- Quantity of Waste and Recycling Rate
|Waste management||Unit||FY 2018||FY 2019||FY 2020||FY 2021||FY 2022||Included range|
|Total emissions volume||t||1,150||1,250||1,056||1,430||1,500||Consolidated|
|Hazardous waste volume*2||t||81.9||84.1||61.3||61.5||48.9||Consolidated
|Final disposal volume*3||t||531||508||136||212||443||Consolidated|
|"Comparative waste intensity （Baseline: FY2020）||%||19||17||0||21||9||Consolidated|
- *1. Recycled volume refers to the amount other than landfill disposal.
- *2. Hazardous waste volume refers to specially controlled industrial waste in Japan.
- *3. Final disposal volume refers to the volume of landfill waste (0 emissions achieved in Japan).
Activities towards Achieving a Sustainable Society
- Volunteer Tree Planting Activities (YOKOWO MANUFACTURING OF THE PHILIPPINES, INC.)
- Having begun operations in April 2022, YOKOWO MANUFACTURING OF THE PHILIPPINES, INC, volunteered to plant 500 saplings in cooperation with local industrial parks and authorities, aimed at protecting and preserving the environment.